Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Real First Update...

     OK, I've finally got a few minutes to sit down and write a proper update. As first days go, it wasn't bad. I feel like I've been going a million miles (or kilometers if that's your thing) a minute since Friday morning. For your reference, that was about 31 hours ago for me. In that time, I think I caught about 3 uninterrupted hours of sleep. Needless to say, I'll be dragging by about 17:00 tomorrow. Clocks run on military time here. It's not hard to get used to. Just subtract 12. But the flying and driving (not me, a taxi driver), and walking has added up to a jam-packed day of activity.
     The flight went well. I got to JFK about 2 and a half hours early. Check-in and departure went smoothly. The flight had a few bumps but nothing alarming. I fell asleep somewhere past Nova Scotia and woke up somewhere over Germany. Poland and half of Ukraine slipped by with only a small rough patch at a weather front. We landed about an hour ahead of what I expected.
     One thing that surprised me last year and I saw again this year was the post-landing applause. It's something we don't often see or hear in the USA. But even if the landing was a little rough, a majority of the passengers congratulate the pilots with a round of applause. It's a tradition I think we should bring back (or start).
     Customs was even easier than last year. I guess the Ukrainians aren't too concerned about Americans coming to visit. I sat and waited for my ride for about an hour. Marina Stotskaya and Yuri Vladimirovich were my guides to the place I'll be calling home for the next 6 months. It's a very nicely kept and decorated apartment on the 12th floor of a highrise building. I'll be doing a more in-depth tour of the apartment later. For now you have to enjoy the sunset view out my bedroom balcony.
     I also got a small tour around the local neighborhood. It's a typical mix of Soviet-era buildings with a few newer constructions. The main highway (Peremohy Ave) is a 2 minute walk from my apartment. The office for Big City Church is only a 10 minute walk from here. And I also have easy access to public transportation (subway, buses).
     And in case you thought this was all a vacation, think again. The language barrier is going to be an ever-present obstacle until I get a little more practice and confidence in what I know and will learn. I've been told my pronunciation is good, I just need practice. So reading won't be an issue. The two things to focus on are comprehension and building vocabulary. But I'll have a lot of time to do that.

Well, that's all for now. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment