Thursday, July 26, 2018

Band on the Run

     Yes, we, the weary band of travelers, had to run...yet again. So. Much. Running. But such is the cost of the quest. At least we had fun.
L-R: Katya, Yulia, Dasha, me, Nastia, Kolya, Yulia, Max, Nastia, Misha, Joan, Jesse, Marusya, Natasha
     Thursday morning was the  quest. Thanks to the unusually rainy weather this week (here, not at home) we had to modify the schedule a bit this week. Capture the flag was canceled on Tuesday night. We also had to swap the quest from yesterday to today in trade for the Ultimate Frisbee tournament. But it worked out well. Both days were dry. Although I think the running through the sand would have been a bit easier if it had been wet. Oh well. We're done with it now.
     The quest came in three parts; a search for "strange things," a running course with different challenges along the way, and a mental challenge in the dark. They were linked together as part of one big challenge. Following clues, solving puzzles, and physical training. The main theme was that it prepared us to search for a missing scientist. I'm a little fuzzy on the details but he tried to make a cure for his comatose wife, she didn't wake up right away so he ran away, she wakes up and needs help finding him. So our "training" helped put us on the way for the search.
     Overall I think this year's quest was easier than the last. I talked with Ocean team leader Sasha about it and he said they tried to make it a little easier so everyone could do it. I also really enjoyed the mental part as well as the search. I wasn't big on the running since half of it was through sand. But the obstacle parts (climbing wall, rope ladder, log crossing) were a good challenge.
     We finished up a bit early so I had time to shower before lunch. Boy, did I need it. Sand everywhere, dirt, sweat. It felt good to sluice it all off and not stink for a bit. Of course I started sweating again as soon as I sat down for lunch. Such is camp life. I'm currently writing this while sitting down under an air conditioner vent.
     So the next thing after lunch was again English. I'm convinced my class just prefers to talk rather than read and study vocabulary. We tried the reading again today but it didn't go that well. It seems the individual reading comprehension levels vary greatly among the students in my group.
     Intermediate is always one of the more interesting groups. Some years you will have the most talkative group. During others, you'll have to drag out every answer. It changes all the time too. They will sometimes even get more and more talkative as the week goes on. You never know. Hence our need to be flexible.
The intermediate group minus one (she's behind the camera).
     During the American team meetings, we like to focus on three topics. (How's that for a topical course change?) How we're each doing, spiritual conversations we've had, and the plan for the day's English lesson. In general, we're still doing well. Rich is getting over his upset stomach. Kristen and I are sleeping well again. And acceptable food is slowly coming along for Bryson's discerning tastes. We each are tired in our own way but still moving.
     Personally, this time last year I was laying down for a 14-hour near-comatose sleep. I was told they tried to wake me up but were unsuccessful. I think my body just said, "That's it, we're done. We need sleep." Now this year, I'm doing really well. I do have slightly sore muscles from the running and quest. But I'm really having a lot of fun. Today after the quest, I was surprised at how good I was feeling. It's such a massive change compared to last year that I almost don't know what to do with the new-found energy.
     Most of the team has had chances to talk about spiritual things with different students. It comes out most in the team time when we are free to share opinions and thoughts on questions related to the Way Home lectures. 
     WARNING! I'm jumping thought trains again. Thursday night was the talent show. What can I say? It was awesome. The American team did a lip-synced rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody using chins. I even had an epic air guitar solo and I can't play guitar. There were more laughs than can be counted, more cheers than laughs, and even a few tears too. What we didn't expect was for the staff to pull out their creation/fall/salvation act.

Guilio had an awesome rendition of Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen.
The crowd loved it.
     For the Believers, it was an eye-opening reminder of the cost of our sin and salvation. For the students who we are trying to reach, I think there was a massive impact. It's an emotional roller coaster combined with a spiritual gut punch. I know, not exactly a glowing recommendation. But If you're in need of conviction of you're failures, this skit is a perfect place to start and is best seen in person.
     I'm finishing this up around 1AM. The Ukrainian staff invited the Americans to join them for their "good time" gathering that they have every night. It was a beautiful opportunity to join our languages and cultures for several praise songs and great fellowship with our siblings in faith. Phil is a great worship leader and led us in several songs. I was surprised how many lyrics I remembered.
     OK, I've got to go now. Sleep is calling and I've still got some emails to take care of. Plus we've still got a full day of activities tomorrow. It'll be a long day. I foresee not much sleep tomorrow night since it's the bonfire and disco. I'll try to do another photo post tomorrow of various things including the skits.

1 comment: