Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sunday's Activities

     Sunday was a special day for Big City Church. For two reasons. It was their 11th anniversary as well as the day to elect new elders.

     If you remember, I sat in on a class back in August that had six people attending to learn more about being an elder. Two weeks ago, the church elected four of them. They had their official ordination ceremony today. From left to right are Karen Hakobjanyan (in the grey jacket), Vlad Tezov, Igor Nikitiuk, Eugene Kovalenko.




     Today was also the celebration of the 11th anniversary of the church. The dinner reminded me of the Thanksgiving dinners at Covenant. It was only missing the massive bowls of mashed potatoes but it was still good. We ate, talked, and laughed together. All the things that make a church dinner a good time. Afterwards, some people left but others stayed to play games. I got sucked into a particularly intense game of Uno.
     I wasn't expecting it, but we ended up having an English club gathering after the party. An announcement had been made on VK (the main social network here) that we wouldn't be meeting tonight but not everyone got the message. Plus some heard the wrong start time. It ended up being a good time though. We played several games and watched a short film. Since it wasn't an official meeting night, I didn't have anything prepared. That's where the old mantra comes back. "Be flexible." 
     An interesting side note, I lost power here in my apartment for about an hour last night. I think it was a construction accident that clipped a power line. Not a big deal. It just made things dark here for a little while.
     That brings me up to now. I'm sitting here eating a piece of chocolate cake and listening to some good music. I think I'll do this for a little while longer and then go to bed. I stayed up until well after 2AM last night. I ended a Skype chat with friends at 1:30 but couldn't fall asleep until almost 2:45. That really messed up my sleep schedule. And I need to be sharp for tomorrow. Another day and another language lesson.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry we messed up your sleep schedule!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should we take a picture of a pan of mashed potatoes for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, no thanks. I actually have just as many potato-inclusive meals here as I did back in the States. It's just a little different. Some of the dishes yesterday had a cross between boiled and mashed potatoes in them.

    ReplyDelete