Sunday, November 29, 2015

First Snow (and other things)

     Well, I've got some catching up to do. The last three days have been jam-packed (but sadly, no jam was included). My dad and I had a lot of fun seeing Kiev and some of it's museums.

     Thursday night after the Thanksgiving dinner, we came back to my apartment to rest. That resting went right on through 11:00. I was up and moving (and typing) but my dad really needed the sleep. We weren't too late for the taxi but it was close. We caught a taxi ride from my apartment down to the State Aviation Museum. That was the first car ride in a while that I wasn't confident in the car making it to the destination. The back, left sway bar link clunked every time the suspension flexed and the engine had a bad miss in one cylinder. We made it safe with no problems other than my dad feeling cramped in the front seat.
(The Bear with my dad for scale)
     The State Aviation Museum is an amazing place. For an aviation-fan like me, it was an awesome experience. All my life, I've grown up with American and British aircraft in the museums I've visited. To see Ukrainian and Russian designs up-close was like a breath of fresh air. One particular aircraft had all it's fabric covering removed so we could see how the wings were constructed. Many others, we could walk right up to and see the details of the rivets and wheels and windows. Since they were outside, most of them showed their age. Only one, a nicely rebuilt AN-2, looked like new. In one corner of the museum, we saw up close how monstrously-huge the Bear is. You may recognize it from the news. Russia is fond of flying those right up to and along the borders of NATO countries and causing international incidents.
(The Bear's prop with me for scale)
     Most of the aviation museums I've been to have been indoors. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio and the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. are both huge indoor facilities. But this was all outdoors. The weather was clear but cold. The whole day, I doubt it got over freezing. We could stand in the sunlight and be comfortable. But once we stepped into a shadow, we got really cold very quickly. So, if you're ever in Kiev, definitely go to the State Aviation Museum. The admission price is cheap and the history there is mostly unseen on the western side of the Atlantic.
(Panoramic of the bomber and helicopter section)
     After we got back from the museum, I made a late lunch for us (my special gourmet grilled cheese with sausage sandwiches). My dad was still a little tired from the past two days so we just relaxed for the rest of the evening.
     Friday, we went for a long walk. We got on the metro and rode down to Arsenalna station. From there we walked for about twenty-five minutes to the Ukrainian State Museum of the Great Patriotic War. For those not in the know, The Great Patriotic War is what the USSR called WWII. After being betrayed by Hitler, the Soviets decided to fight back and join the Allies. They tend to gloss over the fact that they helped split up control of several nations with Germany. This museum shows how Ukraine and the USSR was invaded and subsequently fought back. Since Ukraine was right in the middle, Kiev was bombed and destroyed at least twice as the armies rolled through. Again, I highly recommend this museum.
(The walking path to the Ukrainian State Museum of the Great Patriotic War and it's crown, the Motherland Statue)
     From there, we walked back to the metro station to get some lunch. We rode down to the next station and got off. We walked to Puzatta Hatta. It's cafeteria-style with some traditional Ukrainian food. Also highly recommended.
     After lunch, we parted ways with our translator (Marina) and my dad and I went walking again. Unfortunately, it wasn't a very good day for a tourist. We couldn't stand still, let alone talk, without someone coming up and bothering us. So it was more of a quick, walking tour of the downtown. We walked through Maidan and then up the hill to see St. Sophia, St. Michael's, and St. Andrew's churches. We then walked slowly down the Andriivs'kyi descent to our next metro stop. From there, we rode and walked back to my apartment. By the time we got out of the metro, it was dark. Sunset comes around 16:00 now with full-dark by about 16:30.
     My dad was really worn out from all the walking. I estimate that we walked about six miles (9.6 kilometers) total. He says it's evident he has to walk more. I'm used to walking everywhere but that was a lot for me. Before moving here, I drove almost everywhere. However, I haven't driven a car since July. I attribute a big portion of my weight loss to the walking.
     The rest of the evening was just relaxing. I had a good long conversation with my parents (although my mom was on FaceTime). That's something I hadn't thought of much before I came here. But technology is an amazing thing. Even though I'm not in the same room, something like Skype or FaceTime is far better than a phone call or an email. A face to go with the voice really helps.
     Sunday was the last full day my dad was here. I made breakfast in the morning (sausage and cheese omelets and toast) before we set off in the rain to church. My dad and I were both half-soaked by the time we got to the metro. I really need to buy an umbrella. After an uneventful ride and a short walk, we made it to church.
     After church, I introduced my dad to several of my friends here. Unfortunately, our ride needed to leave so we couldn't stay for long. But we did get to ride back to my apartment above ground and see something amazing.
     Today I saw my first snowfall in Ukraine. I had seen the white stuff on the forecast a few other times but it never panned out. Today it finally came down. And, wow, it was glorious. I'm probably gonna get some flack for that last sentence. Personally, I really enjoy seeing snow.
(Looking west down Peremogy Ave.)
     It didn't stick to the main roads much. But the sidewalks and side-streets were cold enough that they needed shoveling. I'll update more on snowy things another time after I know more about the locals deal with snow.
     My dad and I had lunch after getting back, then I took him upstairs to meet my American missionary neighbors. Unfortunately, we had to cut the visit short to get to English club. He got to see how we do things there and even participated in the game before the discussion (as the score-keeper). He even got to meet two of my mom's biggest fans here in Ukraine.
     Part of the fun this weekend has been introducing my dad to all the people I see on a regular basis. Not only at church but also at English club. Meeting the family of your friends puts them in a different perspective. So hopefully meeting the people I interact with help put into perspective some of what I'm doing here.
     Well, that's all I have for now. I need to be up tomorrow at 2:45 to make sure my dad gets to the airport. He has a flight at 6:15 in the morning. From Kiev to Amsterdam and then back to the US. So I need a little bit of sleep before that. I can sleep more after I get back so it's not a big deal. Plus, you make sacrifices for family. It's been great having my dad here the past few days. I hope he and my mom can come back again.
(A Yak-3)
(Mi-26 with my dad for scale)

(A skinless An-2)
(AN-71 AWACS flying radar platform)
(Looking out on the Militsia station and their new construction project)

2 comments:

  1. Brian, I love the snow too. Glad your dad got to see what we know there. I am at PSU helping Danny after his ACL repair surgery and I too find I am not used to all the walking on campus! The pics from your apt are really neat! I love how snow douses the grey and makes it all white and quiet! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just glorious ;-) I love hearing all the sweet memories made with your dad!! And the pics were neat to see! Enjoy the snow. We haven't seen it here yet!

    ReplyDelete