Sunday, October 25, 2015

Three Months

     That's how long it's been since I stepped back onto Ukrainian soil in July. The beginning of this adventure. It seems like so long ago. Ninety-two days actually. I missed the last monthly milestones and wanted to get my thoughts onto the screen on time for this anniversary.

      Thinking about all that I've done and experienced, if I had known that before coming here, I don't know if I could have done it. In those days I was blissfully ignorant. Not oblivious, but definitely under-expecting of what would happen. Those of you who've been following along from the beginning know some of what's been happening. I've tried to keep you updated with the highlights. I'm sure even that has been surprising.
     But the experiences of just daily living have been huge challenges in themselves. Shopping, transportation, cooking, and life stories have all made their way to this blog. Add on the English club, camps, activities and events and I don't know if I would have made it this far.
     The biggest challenge I've had (besides the language) is just getting used to how things are done here. I know exactly where I need to go for something in the US. I grew up there so it's all familiar. But I think of my time here as an accelerated growth. I'm starting from almost square-one with language, like a child. I'm learning how things are done here, like a child. I even feel like a child when I need someone to explain what is happening at an activity or event. I understand that's going to be part of the deal when moving to a new country. So that's probably my biggest area of growth. But along with that growth is expanding my confidence and skills and experience.
     Depending on who you ask, this could be the half-way point or just a big milestone. The original plan, back when I first started thinking about doing this, was for a year-long trip. A whole year spent immersed in Ukrainian culture and ministry. That was pared down to six months. Thinking about all I've experienced so far, I know for certain that I wouldn't make it that long on my strength alone. Even getting this far was not by my strength.
     If all that sounds like rambling, there is a good reason for that. It's because it is. I didn't have a coherent idea for what I wanted to say in this post. Basically I just wanted to look at some of the highlights and give you my thoughts on the time spent here so far. So that's it. Thanks for reading. I'll have more in the coming days.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, its been a whirlwind and God is the Lord of the Storm!

    ReplyDelete