Friday, October 23, 2015

Back In the Saddle Again

     Well, you may have heard through the grapevine that finally I'm back in Ukraine. This week has been a confusing one. My body clock is all messed up from about 31 hours of riding on a bus. The sightseeing was amazing in Krakow. I'm not even sure what all I should say about the visa process other than it was annoying. That's an ordeal that I'd rather not go through again.
     As a review, I had to leave Ukraine for a few days to get my visa sorted out. Americans can stay for 90 days on a tourist visa but then I have to leave. I was able to come back on a 45-day visa and now I'll have to apply for permanent residence if I want to stay any longer.
     Poland was certainly the correct choice for a place to stay. I want to go back and spend more time there learning about the history and seeing the downtown. You saw some of my pictures from there. I could have walked around downtown for hours. At every corner I faced a difficult choice of where to go next. Each alley and side-street held something new and amazing to see. The only way it could have been better is if there were no cars. I wanted to see the architecture and design without the influence of modern steel and plastic blocking my view.
     I got back to Kiev yesterday in the afternoon. I had a few hours to get cleaned up and ready for Bible study. We had ten people, including me, crammed in here last night. I'm still learning about how to lead. Having a study guide is great. But it's also no substitute for listening to the attendees and responding with more questions. Opinions vary greatly among the people who attend. Last night we had two from Big City and two from Liberty camp, along with three from English club and one who was at English walking. Several are obviously Christians. But there are also some who are either agnostic or simply don't believe. So it's an interesting challenge balancing the questions with expectations.
     It seems that Autumn is in full swing now. The last two weeks have been getting progressively colder. Trees are showing their underlying colors before shedding their leaves for winter. It's also been rainy, both here and in Poland.
     That means it's definitely time to start thinking warm. The city turned on the heat this week. My building has radiators for heat. There is one in my bedroom and one in the living room. My landlord told me about a luxury I didn't know about until last week was hiding under my bathroom floor. The bathroom has a heated floor! I will absolutely be making good use of that as the temperatures drop even farther and the snow begins to fall. Speaking of which, that, according to my language teacher will probably happen in the coming month.
     That's all for now. I've got to get back to studying for Monday's language lesson. Unfortunately I didn't get much chance to do that while I was away and now need to play a little catch-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment