Monday, August 24, 2015

Post-retreat Update

     I need a vacation. Or at least a long night's sleep. It never fails. I have fun with a big group of Ukrainians and I lose sleep. Not that I'm complaining. It was some of the best fun I've had in a while with a great group of people. But sometimes I forget about the time (or stop caring) and I get to be at 1AM or, like last night, at 2:15AM.
     The last four days were a great chance to get to know the people of Big City Church better. My sphere of knowledge was only a few people before Friday. But thanks to spending hours on end with them, I'm glad to know more of them a little better. I still have a lot to learn though. Jerry Rahm, the pastor from Texas, made it a point to sit and talk with as many people as he could one-on-one. I could do well to copy that example.
     Speaking of Jerry, he did an excellent job conveying his message this weekend. He isn't afraid of using old and new friends to make a point or a joke. And the humor he does use is put to great use. Even through a translator, he made people laugh. The whole point of his series this weekend was to help Big City to improve its function as a church and a family. I wrote a little about it before. Improving how they show compassion, care, love, trust, and faith while sharing in their struggles and successes will determine how their ministry to the people of Kiev grows. They have to care for their own members who are struggling. They have to welcome visitors warmly. They should grow with, support, encourage, serve, and love their fellow members because they are part of the same body. Each has a function and should do it to the best of their ability.
     We had a schedule for the weekend. However, it was more of a suggestion than a strict set of guidelines. As such, we switched and swapped a lot of things throughout the weekend. The night game that was planned for Friday never happened (even with trying to do it Sunday night). Instead we had a fire and cooked sausages and marshmallows. That was definitely my favorite part of the whole weekend. It's a rare time that I experience a moment of total contentedness where I wouldn't change anything. Sitting around the fire with the people of Big City while someone plays a guitar and others sing is exactly that moment. Good food, good friends, good music, a warm fire on a cool summer night and the Milky Way shining overhead. I didn't even understand all the words they were saying. But in that moment, I realized I am exactly where I need to be.
     Did I mention the kite making? I think so. Too lazy now to go back and look. But it went well. Other than not having the requisite wind to make the kites work that is. Dara (the leader of this retreat) found a set of instructions online that I used to guide them in making six different kites. Plastic bags, sticks, string, tape and some super glue. The individual steps are easy. But apparently, growing up in the city means most of them have never done anything like this. I grew up making things like this for fun. I'm just glad that now I can share that experience with them.



     As part of the closing ceremony, we had a neon powder war. You've probably seen videos of it. A group of attractive, twenty-somethings throwing neon-colored powder in the air and at each other. If not, have a look at our version. Lots of fun but a total mess fest. I'm gonna be finding that powder for weeks. It's all over my camera and it was sitting away from the action. My sandals were purple and I wasn't even wearing them. It's taken at least three times blowing my nose to clear out all the blue gunk. Messy but still fun. For future reference, wear clothes that are going to be washed right away. Or be ready to go swimming. I'm going to shower now and get the remainder out of my hair.
      Have a great week and thanks for reading. Look for the Q&A post this week. Oh, BTW, this blog saw it's 1000th visitor this weekend. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend!! How many people on average come to church on Sunday? Were there more or less at the retreat? And what's the age demographic?

    ReplyDelete