Thursday, August 20, 2015

A Quick Note

     This post is probably a little self-evident and a lot of obvious blather. But I'd like to say it because I think it's interesting. It's amazing how much confidence comes from knowledge. More so with experience.
     Today was another language lesson. I had to travel to the northern part of the city by marshrutka to get there. Today, for the first time, I rode the marshrutka by myself. I planned ahead of time to figure out which number I needed to look for and I even figured out (with Google Street View) which stop to get off at. So the ride itself was uneventful. Both times (going to and from the lesson) went smoothly. I got on, paid the driver, and sat down. Of course it was during the middle of the afternoon and not rush hour. Small steps. Maybe another time. But for now, I'm happy with that.
     The lesson went mostly well. OBVIOUSNESS ALERT - Learning a new language is hard. However, and I'm probably disillusioned by having studied a little before, it's going well I think. It's a big confidence boost when I successfully remember a word or phrase that I need or when I master a new word or phrase.
     I know in the grand scheme of things I don't know anything. But having the knowledge of how to ride the marshrutka and knowing more words than I did last week really boosts my confidence. I'm nowhere near being a fully active member of society with interaction and conversation and questioning. But I at least know where I need to go, how to get there, and a few more details of what to say. It's all a learning process. The process is going better than I had hoped or imagined.

2 comments:

  1. Brian, I am so encouraged by your posts. God is doing a great work in and through you. Taking small steps is always vital; no small steps, no bigger steps. Keep trusting God and posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your honest sharing about what it's like to communicate when you only understand about every 20th word!! How many people take part in Walking English? Are any if them proficient English speakers?

    ReplyDelete