Sunday, August 30, 2015

End of the weekend

     Tomorrow is a new week for me. More language classes, Walking English, and just life. For now, I just need some sleep and then to cram for my Monday lesson. Since I spent so much time with the Manchester team, I didn't have my normal study time to do this lesson. I think I can get it all done before class.
     Today was a good day. It was the final full day for the Manchester team. They fly out on Monday. Their leader Matt, who is also their co-pastor, preached in church today. He spoke from Acts 1:1-11 about how, before we can celebrate the marriage supper of the Lamb, we have to take the Gospel to the world.
     After church and lunch, we walked around the campus of Kiev Polytechnic Institute and the park in front of it. I found out three weeks ago, when I went to the Zoo, that Igor Sikorsky studied there. He's famous for many successful helicopter designs as well as the company he founded to design and build them. One of their manufacturing plants is in Coatesville, PA and I applied to work there last year. Walking around this afternoon was a good chance for the team to get to know the area and some of the people a little better. That's been the main purpose for coming here.
     In the evening, we all went back to Pastor Max's house for a cookout and a Q&A. Some of their team met with a small group from Big City on Saturday. But Max wanted them to speak to and hear from more people from Big City. It was a good time to learn more about their history. They are less than a year old but truly want to make missions a major focus. It was great having them here this weekend. I really enjoyed meeting Christians from the UK. That's not something that happens often enough.
     I remembered today that I forgot to write about the Walking English meeting on Friday. It was a long, late night. I didn't get back to my place until around 23:30. Riding the metro that late at night is an interesting experience. But the English time was good. The original plan was to go for a boat tour of the the Dnieper river. That wound up being too expensive so we decided to go for a walk. After we finally decided on a destination and route, we got to actually do some talking. Most of them had been to the Liberty camp this year but there were several who I didn't know. We ended up sitting and playing games until well after dark. The nightlife in that part of Kiev is much different than I'm used to. Noisy college-age people everywhere. Like I said, it was good. Lots of good conversation and hopefully I cleared up a lot of questions about English.
     Alright, sleep time. I need to be doing a lot of studying tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Brian for all the updates. Sounds like things are going well. A suggestion in your blogs would be to give us some insights into spiritual lessons you might be learning both from scripture you read and circumstances that God puts you in where your faith is strengthened.

    ReplyDelete