Thursday, June 9, 2016

Just What I Needed

     So, I left off the last post with hoping that you'd have a relaxing Sunday. I can say that I did. And as the title indicates, it was just what I needed. Alternatively, I could have titled it "you might think" for the dichotomy of what was and what "should" be. But I've made my choice and I'm sticking with it.
Монумент радянським воїнам - танкістам визволителям Києва
     What am I talking about? The relaxing nature of my Sunday afternoon and evening. It started with the sermon on Sunday. As I was leaving, I got to talking with a friend about the sermon. They suggested we walk and talk about it. So we did. All the way back to my apartment. That's a distance of about 5.9 kilometers (3.6 miles). Since it was a beautiful day and I needed the exercise, by the time we stopped walking I didn't feel tired from walking. While part of that may be that I'm used to walking a lot now, I think it's mostly due to the good company.
     Walking that far by myself isn't something I'd do on a whim. But with a friend, it's much better. Plus it's a good chance to get out and enjoy the weather. It wasn't too hot. I even got to see parts of Kiev I've only ridden past in cars or marshrutkas. The memorial pictured above is dedicated to the soldiers who fought to defend and liberate Kiev in WWII.
     The day, on the whole, was really good. For the first time this trip, I was able to visit another church for an English worship service. I'm still attending Big City Church in the morning (since I'm here to serve them). But the English service was in the evening. Since English club is officially finished for the summer, my Sunday evenings are free. I heard some people talking that morning in church about the English service at Holy Trinity Church and decided I wanted to visit. I'm glad I did.
     First off, it's been far too long since I've heard or sung any old hymns. Big City is a young church with young people. The average age is about 29. As such, they tend to like more modern worship music, particularly Hillsong. They will occasionally mix in an older song. But it's a rarity when I recognize a song, especially after it's translation to Ukrainian or Russian. I do enjoy the occasional modern song but I prefer hymns. At Holy Trinity, every song was a traditional hymn.
     Second, the entire service was in English. I greatly appreciate all the hard work of the people who have translated Pastor Max's sermons. I know it's not easy. But when I can sit and listen to the pastor directly, it's a great deal easier to follow the points of the message. A visiting pastor from the States preached at Holy Trinity on Sunday. The style and order of worship were also closer to what I've grown up with. That makes it feel a lot less alien, despite the location.
     Third, it was good to hear a sermon about a specific passage of Scripture again. Pastor Max's style of preaching is more topical than exegetical. I understand the value in topical sermons. They can be very effective for certain studies. But I grew up in a more exegetical style. The sermon was from John 11 and focused on the events leading up to the death of Lazarus. The pastor tied the passage to the way Jesus acted for different people and how He "became all things to all people." It was good to hear a direct exegetical examination of a passage again.
     If the name Holy Trinity sounds familiar, it's because I visited the church for their Christmas Eve service. I wrote back then that it was almost identical to the service back home at Covenant OPC. Having something so familiar in an unfamiliar land is a real comfort. At times, I don't even realize I need it. But being there Sunday evening, despite the small numbers and not knowing everyone, was a comfort and a blessing. I plan on going there more often for the English service.
     Switching gears a little, before and after the Liberty meeting last night, we played a lot of penny hockey. The game is really taking off among the people of Big City. This Saturday we will return to the office to finish the remaining game boards and possibly even make score boards. We'll see.
The one I made is at the bottom and the newer one is in back.
     I'm going with a small group on Saturday to buy more materials at Epicenter. Think of it like a Walmart crossed with Home Depot. In the one I usually go to, the home improvement center is on the first floor and an escalator takes you up to the second floor with the home decor, furnishings, sports gear, grilling supplies, and office supplies. It even has a little cafe for when you get tired of wandering the aisles. Stores like that are one of my favorite places to get project ideas. There is so much potential hiding in that store.
That is not my ash tray. It was here when I arrived.
     Today, I have a new experiment, I'm trying to make sun tea. It's brewing away outside while I'm doing other things. The sun is going in and out of the clouds so I'm not sure how it'll turn out. Hopefully good. We'll see. I found a really good bottle yesterday at Novus which had apple juice in it. I drank the juice and now it's housing water and two mint tea bags. I haven't had sun tea in a long time. Iced tea really isn't popular here. Lipton and Nestle both have bottled sweat tea but they aren't very good. I'm hoping this will turn out well. It'll be a good, easy drink option for this summer when things get hotter. Add ice and a little sugar and serve.
     Well, I've got to get back to prepping for Bible study and studying for my lesson tomorrow. Just FYI, David is leaving today for vacation and then he's headed back to the States. So please pray for him and his family as they are back home for the summer.
     I'll talk to you again soon.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think it was good. I didn't wait until it cooled off completely so that may have changed the flavor. The taste of sun tea is very subtle compared to traditional, hot-brewed tea. I liked that it took less sugar than normal to have the same perceived sweetness as hot tea. But I think it's something I'll have to revisit when it gets hotter. Maybe with a different flavor.

      Delete