Saturday, January 16, 2016

Once Bitten, Twice Shy

     Alternately, this could have been titled "Paranoid" or "Everybody Hurts." I didn't think I was going to write about this but I figured it was a big event and it should be recorded for posterity (and as a reminder to not be shy about asking for help). I'll start out by saying, I'm completely fine now.
     The bathtub is a scary place. With all it's sterile whiteness and the cold, unforgiving hardness. Well not really "scary," but it could have been if there had been a different outcome. It's certainly made me a little more cautious. What is it that I'm talking about? It's "The Incident."
    Tuesday night, I was taking a hot bath for about an hour. I decided to get up and wash off before getting out. I immediately started feeling nauseous and dizzy. The next thing I know, I'm laying down in the tub again with no recollection of how I got there. Apparently, I passed out and fell down back into the tub. When I came to, I scrambled up and hung over the side of the tub until I could get my breathing and heart-rate closer to normal. That was the most scared I've been since I was a kid.
     The prevailing theory is that I passed out from low blood pressure. Laying in a hot tub for over an hour dilated my blood vessels to the point that, when I stood up, all the blood rushed out of my head. I'd agree with this assessment since I've never experienced anything like this before that I can remember. David Pervis also suggested that it could have been low blood sugar. I hadn't eaten anything substantial since lunch that day. Only pretzels and cheese. 
     Now, the good news. I don't have any lasting injuries from it. I got a small lump on my right eyebrow from where I hit the tub with my head and I did have a headache. The bruise is still there but the headache is gone now. The part that saved me I think is that the water was still in the tub when I fell. A lot of it splashed out when I fell and I think that broke most of the fall. My extraordinarily hard head did the rest. So the combination of the waters parting and it splashing out kept me from both a bad concussion and drowning.
     So, where does "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" and "Paranoid" come in? I'm a lot more careful now when moving in and around the tub. I also won't be taking any more long, hot baths any time soon. Let this be a warning. Be careful in the tub. Slipping or passing out while in a tub full of water can be harmful to your health. Side affects of a hot bath may include bruised ego, wet floors, scared friends, worried parents and paranoia. Please use responsibly.



     As you can see, I'm completely recovered from the incident. Joking about things is the easiest way to tell that I'm not scared or worried about something. I was actually joking about it 20 minutes afterward. So you don't have to worry about me now. I learned my lesson. Don't take long hot baths and be willing to ask for help.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we have to learn lessons the hard way ;) glad you're okay!

    ReplyDelete