Sunday, January 3, 2016

I'm giving serious consideration...

...to growing a beard. The weather here hasn't been above freezing since Monday the 28th. And it probably won't get above it until this Saturday (the 9th). Today (Sunday) was 6F.
Tomorrow will likely not get above 12F. Fostering facial follicles might facilitate the fending off frozen facial features. I haven't had a full beard since (I think) my second year of college. That wasn't a temperature thing. It was a dorm tradition for fending off the desperation of Valentines day.

     I've been trying to acclimate to Celsius but it's not going well. I get that 0C is 32F and its gets hot outside around 27C. I get the general curve of the temperature relationship but it's still hard to do a quick conversion. Mostly I just go by other people's reaction to the temperature. Today I switched my weather widget to show in Celsius to maybe get me on the way to seeing temperature the way the "civilized world" does things.
     In other news, I think I know how Calvin feels in this comic.
      It was zero outside when I went to church this morning. I'm not used to being out in this cold. But I'm not complaining (yet). I've gotten to see a lot of snow already and I hope to see more this year. It's been a while since I got to have a real winter. The snow has been on the ground since before New Year's Day. Living in Maryland, I didn't see more than a few snow-storms every year. And I didn't have to walk around in it much. Now, since I'm wheel-less, I've gotta walk to the metro or the marshrutka in the cold and wait until it arrives. Fortunately the metro is warm. It's a constant temperature year-round, thanks to being underground.
     OK, bed time for me. I don't have English club this week due to Christmas being this Thursday (the 7th). So I have an easier week. 

      I'll talk to you later.

2 comments:

  1. Well -40c = -40f. Go for the full beard.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beard, huh. That should be interesting. Glad you're enjoying the snow. We went for a bike ride yesterday and saw a few white crystalline structures when we got back. Not very many, but some, nevertheless. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete