Monday, August 7, 2017

Do You Feel Like We Do?

     Do you feel like we do? Probably not. Reading about the trip on the blog is miles away from actually being there. Although several people have commented to me since our return that reading the blog was helpful in getting an idea of what it was like and what we were feeling. I'd agree with that. But for a true picture, you really need to come with us next time.
     So what's this post planned for since I'm back and not likely to return to Ukraine for a little while? Mostly, it's to collate my thoughts about this year's camp into a somewhat coherent stream of ideas and feelings. Because it's not like you can open up my head and see what I'm thinking. Stop it. Put that hacksaw away. Don't even bother trying. You might not like it if you did. Kids have visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads. Mine's full of Jeeps, mountain biking, and all sorts of other crazy things.
     Alternatively, I considered titling this post "Calm After the Storm" in reference to The Common Linnets' song. However, I'd say we were all thrown into a different kind of storm upon our arrival home. Austin started a new job Tuesday of last week. David and Emmanuel Church are going into a jam-packed VBS week. Each of us has life here to work through. Calm after the storm? It's an attractive notion though not quite accurate.
     Anyways, I've been home for about a week and it's time to finally put my thoughts about the trip into words. Since I don't really have an outline for this, I'll try a self-interview Q&A session.
First off, what are your overall impressions of the camp?
     I was very impressed with how the Ukrainian staff handled themselves and the challenges of camp. It's not an easy thing planning for five and a half days of activities, lectures, logistics and a hundred other things I can't think of right now. They had nearly everything worked out for us before we even arrived. We only needed to buy the tickets and prepare the lessons. Well, not only that. But by comparison, our part in planning for the actual camp didn't feel so involved. The staff of camp this year all did an excellent job; everyone from the camp leader Zhenya on down to Dennis who kept us going with fresh coffee and tea.
     The Ukrainian staff has been working tirelessly for months to prepare for camp. Like us, many of them took time off of work to be there. They also handled themselves very professionally. And they even found the best location I've ever seen for a summer English camp. Humble brag warning: I've been to more than a few English camps. This location, the Hotel Complex Zazimie, was the most comfortable and exceptional of all the locations I've visited for camps. I would gladly return there for camp next year.
Was it really as difficult as you made it sound in your posts?
     That's a tough question but one worth answering. I alluded to this in my last post where I talked about some perceived negativity in my writing. I prefer to think of what I wrote over the course of the week as accurate, not negative. In any case, the answer is yes and no. Yeah, really helpful Brian. No, I mean it.
     Some things were difficult, yes. For me, physically, I was playing with quite a few cards missing from the deck. Health and endurance weren't on my side during the week. Those are personal failings that I need to work on for next year. If you'd have asked me about the difficulty on my first trip, I'd have given you a very different answer. My experience in 2014 was very different from this year. So much so that it'd be unfair to look at only this year and make a determination from it. Much like life, there is good and bad. You have to ask yourself if you are willing to put up with the bad, difficult portions of camp in order to live through the soaring, elating good that an experience like this offers.
     At the same time, no, it wasn't as difficult as it sounds. As the week progresses, you will get used to it. You will overcome challenges, not by your strength but by the support of God and your fellow Believers. Distraction, too, is a way that you get through camp. Most of the time, you're having too much fun to realize how tired you are. It's only in the quiet moments and at the end that the weight of the week's activities is apparent. But even then, I'd say it's worth it.
     While I'm writing all this about the trials and triumphs of camp, I want the people who are reading to get an accurate idea of what all is involved in camp. Sure, some of it is uncomfortable. But if we only did comfortable things, the world would be a much more boring place. It's better that someone who is considering going with us gets an accurate picture of the week rather than being dumped into a maelstrom with nary a map or compass. I want them to expect the unexpected and be pleasantly surprised when they discover there is more to camp than difficulties. 
What went right this year?
     That's a long list. For me, the English lessons went very well. It took a day or so to reach my stride in teaching. But I got there and my group had a lot of fun together. By the end of the week, all of them were expressing ideas and opinions clearly in English. Even if the vocabulary I taught them doesn't stick, I think the confidence they gained will be with them for a long time.
     I was also glad to introduce five new people to Ukraine. Or at least be a part of that introduction. Aijalon, David, Megan, Gretchen and Brandon had all, to one extent or another, been outside the US. But none had been to Ukraine before. I believe each of them will remember this trip for the rest of their lives. I could see it in their eyes during the week that, likewise with me, it wasn't easy for them. However, in that discomfort, I think they were able to find their place for service. Everyone was a valuable member of the team. I was glad to have all of them along, newbies and veterans alike.
     The biggest impression I had from the trip (and IMHO the best thing) was how quickly the Ukrainian and American teams bonded. I already knew most of the people on staff this year. But with 5/8 of the team coming into this not knowing anyone, it was amazing to see how quickly they became friends. Even on the bus ride into Kiev from the airport, it was readily apparent that our two teams would work well together. This also extended to the students as well. We had a few boyfriend/girlfriend pairs in camp. Though, for the most part, no one knew anyone else. Even by the middle of the week, it seemed as if most of them had known each other for years.
What would you do differently next year personally and preparation-wise?
     Personally, I would try to stay healthy. Tank up on Vitamin C and avoid getting sick as best as I can the entire week before the flight out. I'd also study up on my Russian skills so I can keep up better while the students and staff are talking. I'd like to be able to follow conversations better without relying on context.
     For preparation, I would start with my lessons a lot sooner. This year, I was finishing up my lessons in the skies over the Atlantic Ocean and Poland. It's awfully hard to do that in a crowded plane. I did discover that I can type reasonably well one-handed but it's not fun. I also need to have more thoughtful questions prepared on each lesson. I tried to emulate the lessons David Pervis prepared for the English club while I was there. It worked for me this time but I still have to put more effort into it.
Why do you keep going back year after year?
     Because it's so darn fun. Well, that and about a hundred other reasons. I'm certainly not doing it for my health. The real answer is that I believe in the programs that Big City and Liberty churches lead. I believe it's a valuable and successful mode of evangelism in Kiev. These are programs that have born fruit in the past and I believe it will continue to do so for many years. The other parts about seeing friends, sightseeing, the food, adventures and all the rest are just icing on an already towering cake that you can have and and completely devour too.
Are you planning on going back next year? If so, will you continue blogging about it?
     I've already been asked several times if I'm going back. Like in 2016 when I came home from a thirteen-month stint in Ukraine, my answer was and is "yes, I just don't know how or when." It'll likely be for camp again next year. My work schedule, once the school orders for fruit come in, won't really permit longer trips during the school year. But if the camp falls around the same time next year, you will likely see my smiling mug in pictures from a 2018 English and cultural exchange camp. In any case, keep an eye out for updates here on the blog. If/when I decide to go again, I'll definitely make an announcement here. And I'll definitely do my best to write about it daily while on the ground in Ukraine.
     I guess this is the last of my writing here for a little while. This was absolutely a fun and worthwhile camp. I'm glad I was able to be a part of it.
     So, are you ready to feel like we do? Do you want to experience what we did during the last week of July, 2017? Come find me one Sunday after church and we'll talk about it. I'd be glad to introduce you to Ukraine and my friends there. It may not be an easy journey. However, it absolutely is a worthwhile one.

No comments:

Post a Comment