Monday, July 11, 2016

No Time

     Well, not exactly. But close enough. I know that if I don't do this now, I'll end up hopelessly behind in my writing for the week. And it's not going to be an easy week to recover from writing-wise.

     So what is it that I'm blathering about? It's my assignment for the week. English Camp #2 for the summer, to be exact. I don't remember everyone I've told about it (and that's already gotten me in trouble this week) so I'm writing now to say that I'm having my second English camp of the summer.
     About 4 or 5 months ago, my language tutor asked if I would be able to help at an English camp this summer. She is the local contact point for a team called Transform English Academy who conduct English camps in a variety of foreign countries. I said yes and the rest is history.
     I met their team yesterday and walked around downtown with them for the afternoon. I think I like them. They gave me presents before I even taught one word of English in the camp. Peanut Butter M&M's and A&W Root Beer. Today I had to meet them at Nyvky metro station to ride up to the school where the camp is being held. For a first day, it was much more rough than I was planning for or expecting. "Be flexible" was never more apt. I received the material I was supposed to teach about 10 minutes before I was actually going to teach it.
     The afternoon was better. I was able to get away from the intricacies of the English language and have a little fun. I taught several groups how to play Boggle. I even freaked out a little students by proving that I know some Russian. The day finished off with line dancing. I managed to get out of the Chicken Dance (without lying about my mortal allergy to the music or motions of that song). But I did get roped into the Hokey Pokey and the Virginia Reel.
     In lieu of more, I'm going to post the pictures I took from the first day. If I feel up to it, I'll post more. It's been a long day and I need to go sleep.








     If I don't write about it in the next week or so, remind me to post about my 4th of July celebrations as well as walking English from last Friday. Both were a lot of fun. And as a little personal celebration, the blog surpassed 7000 views last week. I even had my first centennial post. "Hello, Is Anyone In There?" saw it's 100th view not long ago.

1 comment:

  1. Ah. Bribery. Works every time (well, almost). :-)
    If you have time this week, let us know how many students, ages, teachers, etc.
    Congratulations on 7,000 views!! And a centennial post!!

    ReplyDelete