Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Tuesday English

     Before I get to details of the English club, I've gotta say I'm ready for the weekend. Is it too early to be thinking about that? I think it's a combination of bad sleep last night and a few emails I've received recently. Basically, I'm just tired and ready to think about something else.
      OK, now that that's out of the way, English. The Sunday and Tuesday English clubs follow the same basic format. I outlined that in detail in the last post. The basics are greetings, games, lesson, singing, and closing announcements. However, for some reason I haven't figured out yet, the Tuesday group is over three times the size of Sunday's group. However, we do have more teachers to help. David Pervis is the main teacher and handles the beginner group. His boss Jon Eide is also there to help along with two other Americans.
     Last night we had, by my count, 31 students. This time, I led the intermediate group with the help of Jon Eide. We had the same article and vocabulary as Sunday so the familiarity helped for me. But it's still a lot of work explaining every vocabulary word and then reading the article for them. My group had about 11 students. I think they were lower intermediate. All of them had basic English skills but still needed some prompting for what they wanted to say.
     Overall, the evening went well. For having as many people as we did, it hasn't been that hard to transition to a larger group. We'll start running out of space if we have much more than 35 people show up next time. When we divide into the different skill levels, it's not as cramped. But having everyone in one room gets tight. And since this was only the first night after the summer break, we probably were down on numbers. I expect to have more next week.
     Switching gears, I had a thought after writing that first paragraph. Maybe this tiredness is my observation from a few posts back coming to fruition. I had a mostly easy July/August and now things will start getting difficult. I had to deal with my debit card being put on hold because of a "suspicious" transaction. It was actually just me buying groceries. My schedule is heating up too. Almost all of my evenings have something planned. English club, a soon-to-start Bible study, more Walking English meetings, Liberty meetings, language lessons and so on.
     I think I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment. Give me a few days and I'll have adjusted.

2 comments: